Map & Atlas Museum of La Jolla Meeting, San Diego
Saturday, November 3, 2012
The Map & Atlas Museum of La Jolla is a new and unique private facility that it is open to the public in La Jolla, California. The beautiful museum facilities and exhibited maps are gaining a national reputation. See the Museum's website for a glimpse: http://www.lajollamapmuseum.org/
This will be a new format for a meeting and event to help foster CMS membership and development in Southern California. If you are interested in attending, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. All members are welcome. Please indicate if you are bringing guests and if you are interested in joining members for dinner afterward.
Location: 7825 Fay Ave Suite LL-A,
La Jolla CA 92037 [Click here for Google map]
The Museum is on the lower courtyard level of the Merrill Lynch building on the corner of Silverado and Fay Streets in downtown La Jolla.
Parking: You will need to use on-street parking; the building's garage is closed on Saturday.
CMS Meeting for Southern California Program
3:00 – 3:45 Reception and Exploration
3:45 – 4:20 General Meeting
- Welcome and introductions
- Museum overview and mission
- Update on the California Map Society, Southern California membership, future events
- A presentation of a new project, a work-in-progress, for developing an historical "mash-up" of San Diego maps by Richard Schulman and Pat Boyce
4:20 - 5:00 Guided Tours - we'll split into two groups for this
- In progress review of the Museum's new Jo Mora exhibit (12+ of his maps) to be opening within the next few months
- Recently acquired Gold Rush maps - this is an exhibit in development for opening in 2013
5:00 - 6:00 Beverages and snacks mixer and free time to explore
San Diego Jo Mora map reprint: The Museum has recently printed a color reproduction of his 1928 map of San Diego. You can get a copy by making a small donation to the Museum at the event.
Dinner anyone? A no host dinner gathering in La Jolla may be arranged for after the meeting. Please indicate if you are interested in this option when you RSVP.