Our Society . . .
was formed as a statewide association in 1978 and incorporated as a California non-profit public benefit corporation in 1987. We are a 501(c)(3) organization for federal tax purposes.
Our Mission . . .
is educational: to preserve and disseminate historical and contemporary cartography, primarily of California, for members as well as the general public.
We accomplish our mission with the following:
- We hold general membership meetings in California twice a year, once south and once north of the northern boundary of San Luis Obispo, Kern, and San Bernardino Counties.
- We compile the names and addresses of cartographers, antiquarian map historians, map libraries, aerial-photo and imagery resources, map dealers and depositories, and other organizations and agencies concerned with maps of and mapping activities in California.
- We educate the public through our conferences and by sponsoring occasional publications and media presentations on cartography.
- We support advancements in map production, utilization, and preservation in the State of California.
- We encourage research in and the teaching of cartography at all levels of public education in California.
- We promote the exchange of cartographic products, information, and ideas among members, other map societies, and other organizations both within and outside California.